March 03, 2011

Curiosities of the Civil War by Webb Garrison

     Did you know that Abraham Lincoln was the first sitting president exposed to open fire? Or that John Wilkes Booth often rode his one-eyed steed around town? One can find these facts and MANY more are in this interesting book by Webb Garrison. It is chock full of random facts, from dead-horse barricades to hostage situations.. 526 pages overflowing with interesting info. One of the most interesting things in the book was that some Clergyman were the FIERCEST fighters, and rarely were they shot.
   I LOVED this book. Us homeschooled folk thrive on random facts, so this book was like manna from heaven! I loved the effort Webb took to make sure that EVERY fact was short enough to read aloud to people. This for me is important, because I tend to love reading random facts to my family! "Hey mom, did you know that a lot of the wives of soldiers followed the soldiers around rather then stay at their homes?" and then I read her the article :) I don't think there was anything I disliked about the book, however I was concerned a tad bit about the paper. Actually, I wasn't, but I thought I'd mention it. If you rub the books cover or its pages on the outside of the book {like the border, the place that gives you paper-cuts} it kind of wore off, not tear, but kind of "ruffled" the edges. I thought it looked really rustic-y, and I liked it a lot! Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading random facts, and DEFINITELY if you are a history buff.
Sincerely,
P.S. Book sneeze gave me this free book to review! Thy did not require that I write a positive book review, only that I give an honest one :)

No comments: