April 24, 2012

Book Review: The Corruptible by Mark Mynheir

Ray Quinn has a dilemma. He is a Private Investigator, yet he is still missing his old job as a homicide detective. He had to have a medical retirement, and his hip causes him pain every waking hour. He is hired for a job that could put him out of his current financial dilemma, but it may cost him more than time. As he digs deeper, he starts to question who the victim was and who the suspect should be. Meanwhile, he is falling deeper and deeper into his alcohol addiction. Can anyone rescue Ray?

I loved:
  • The witty remarks. There were plenty of laughable remarks made in this book. All books need a few jokes.
  • The scam artist. I won't spoil anything, but I thought Ray's interaction with the email hacker was quite hilarious.
  • The easy-to-understand layout. When I requested this book, I didn't realize that it was the sequel to another book. Fortunately, it is written in a way that you cannot tell it is the second.
I didn't love:
  • The swear words. Sadly, even as a Christian book, there were a couple of swear words. Given, they weren't horrible, but that doesn't mean that they were necessary.
  • The predictability. Usually, suspenseful books have a huge plot twist at the end, so sadly, this one just didn't quite have that factor. I think the author just might have dropped a few too many hints!
  • The lack of redemption. I kept thinking the end would redeem itself, but tragically, it really didn't have much hope.
Overall, I probably wouldn't recommend this book to too many people.  Although it has benefits, it also has quite a few drawbacks. I think, if the third book has  more redeeming quality, I just might recommend it.
Waterbrook Publishers gave me this book for free to review honestly

No comments: