April 23, 2012

Book Review: Crazy Dangerous by Andrew Klavan

Jennifer is trapped. Her days are filled with people making fun of her, and her nights with tormenting voices taunting her. It seems that she is the only one who hears them.
Sam Hopkins is an average Pastor’s kid, but he has fallen in with the wrong crowd, and now he is about to pay for it.
In an interesting twist of fate, Sam befriends Jennifer, and oddly, starts to believe her. He thinks that she may be the only one who knows what is going to happen to their small town. It might just be a horrible deed worse than anything they have yet seen.
I loved:
  • ·         Sam’s wit. I laughed out loud when he responded to the bullies. It was hysterical.
  • ·         The first person writing style. It suited this book perfectly, and made reading it really enjoyable.
  • ·         The character description. Although not done in the typical way, you could see how the characters looked, as well as their tone of voice. Although it may seem odd, I loved how Andrew described the characters.
  • ·         The mystery. It is not often that you can find a book that is hilarious, easy-to-read, and suspenseful.
  • ·         The twist at the end. I won’t let out any secrets, but it is pretty awesome.
I didn’t love:
  • ·         A little bit of theology. Barely any, but you know how it goes; “Eat the meat, spit out the bones.”
  • ·         It was a tad gruesome. I would not recommend it to anyone who is under 15. It wasn’t necessarily bloody and gory, but there is still a lot of death.

Overall, I think it was a very intriguing book.  Very different from anything I have read before. This book is, although 324 pages, a very quick read. I sat down and just kept reading. I would definitely buy  this book as a gift for anyone who likes a good, funny read.



This book was given to me for free from Thomas Nelson Publishers for this review.

No comments: