March 12, 2013

Book Review: Shattered by Dani Pettrey



     Piper McKenna knows that her estranged brother, Reef, is innocent. She could see it in his eyes when he was being questioned for murder. The McKenna Family’s longtime friend, Landon Grainger, does not believe anything he cannot prove with cold, hard evidence. Feeling betrayed by Landon, Piper sets out on her own investigation, regardless of the condemning evidence of her brother’s guilt. Having to put his best friend’s brother in jail is eating away at Landon. He wishes there was some shred of evidence that would emancipate his jailed friend. Together, they set off into the Canadian wilderness to try to find proof of Reef’s innocence. Little do they know a killer is tailing their every move?
  
   Have you ever started and finished a book forty-eight hours? I have, but never while my family was ripping out tile. If a book makes me dive into my own little world enough that I completely ignore a sledgehammer being hurled into tile, then I would say it is a suspenseful read. As it was with Submerged, Dani Pettrey outdid herself. Outstanding. I was completely drawn into the story, and I had to force myself to set the book down for silly things like eating, and sleeping, and watching my siblings.
   My only caution for this book is that it is meant for ages 16+, and I would not recommend it to anyone younger. Dani kept it absolutely clean, but there are a few mature elements, i.e. pre-marital affair, affairs, the victim has a habit of sleeping around. I really appreciated that Dani made certain that the main characters agreed that sleeping together before marriage is wrong. Although the characters have their problems, it makes them so much more realistic, and they discern right from wrong.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone ages sixteen and up who likes a suspenseful murder mystery, and who enjoys the beautiful descriptions of Alaska and Canada.

Thank you Bethany House Publishers for giving me this book in exchange for this review.

1 comment:

Kelli Standish said...

Hi!
I just came across your blog, and noticed you enjoyed Dani Pettrey's novels, SUBMERGED and SHATTERED.

STRANDED, the third book in Dani's Alaskan Courage series, will arrive in stores in September, and she has a fabulous giveaway happening September 2-19, to coordinate with the book release.

Would you be interested in learning more, or sharing about the giveaway with your readers?

If so, please let me know. You can contact me or my assistant at amanda at pulsepointdesign dot com, and we'll be happy to give you all the details.

And either way, I hope you'll stop by and enter the giveaway when the contest goes live :)

Cheering you on,
Kelli