March 10, 2013

Book Review: The Sisters of Mercy Flats by Lori Copeland



   
   Abigail McDouglin and her two sisters have finally been caught. Masquerading as nuns, they con unsuspecting citizens, taking money for the barely-surviving convent in Mercy Flats. When Indians hold up the wagon carting them off to jail, the three women must part ways with some unlikely friends.  When Abigail begins to wonder if her rescuer is whom he says he is, he begins to wonder the same thing about her.  Through a series of trials and tribulations, Abigail begins to have feelings for her knight-in-shining-armor; she is dashed when he refuses to be kind to her. Will their love conquer all, or will the heel of the Civil War crush their budding romance?
I liked:

  •  The unique plot. To me, it seems like the majority of Christian historical books are the SAME PLOT. Over and over. The girl is in trouble, the boy rescues her, they get married. This book was quite a bit different. I wasn’t sure I liked any of the characters until at least three-quarters of the way through. It made the book so much more interesting, because you were rooting for the characters to become better people, not just  for them to fall in love. Which brings me to my next point.
  • The realistic characters. The characters were...flawed. Surprising? I thought so. A good many authors forget that real people are reading their book. Lori Copleand is very good at making realistic characters.

I disliked:

  • That the book ended! Augh! My kindle tricked me into thinking I had at least 5% more of the book left, and so all of a sudden my book ended, and I had yet to find out what had happened to her sisters. Augh! I can’t wait for the sequel!

.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who likes an in interesting, and suspenseful read.

This eBook was given to me in exchange for a review

No comments: