February 25, 2014

Book Review: Gunpowder Tea by Margaret Brownley

   
  Miranda Hunt is a Pinkerton detective, and a good one at that. When she is given a very important assignment, she knows her future success is fully dependent on whether or not she succeeds. Little does she know that a Wells Fargo detective, Jeremy Taggert, is also undercover working the same case. Even with two detectives working the case, the elusive Phantom still manages to evade their detection.
     I really enjoyed this book. I loved Dawn Comes Early (The first book in the series) and so I was hopeful that this one would be just as enjoyable. One of my favorite things about this author is the humor she puts in her books. I believe I laughed aloud at least eight times, and I chuckled to myself several others.
     I really enjoyed the mentions of past characters, although they were brief. One of my favorite things about the book was the mention of gunpowder tea. It is always fun to have the timeless element in a book, i.e. it takes place in the 1890s, but you can go and buy gunpowder tea still.
Overall, besides a few brief paragraphs I had to skim (I do not particularly enjoy overly descriptive “romantic” scenes. Ahem) I really enjoyed this book. I absolutely love stories about the Pinkerton detectives, and this mystery did not disappoint.


This eBook was given to me for free in exchange for this review by BookLook Bloggers. Thanks!

No comments: