February 25, 2014

Book review: The Quaker and the Rebel by Mary Ellis




I thought that this was a good book. Although it seemed to lag a bit towards the beginning, it became stress fully suspenseful shortly after. I enjoyed the historical fact threaded throughout the book. I always enjoy learning more about history. I liked the way the author described each scene, especially the galas and balls. I think one of the harder things to do as an author is to accurately describe a difficult time, i.e. the Civil War, while still having readers who want to read your work. I think the Civil War is a very difficult time to write about, simply because of the misery that spanned such an enormous amount of time.

Overall, I would recommend this book to history aficionados, Civil War enthusiasts, and anyone who would like to learn more about this time in America’s past. One thing I disliked about the book is that the timeline seemed very scattered, especially towards the end. During the beginning, the timing was congruous, but towards the end, it seemed to skip multiple portions. I do resolve this in my mind, knowing that the Civil War was a long war, and if the book had not skipped portions, it would have been about a thousand pages! There were a few scenes that were a bit risqué for my taste, but other than that, this was a great book!


This book was given to me by the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: