July 28, 2017

Book Review: Bringing Maggie Home by Kim Vogel Sawyer

    Recently, I was given the opportunity to read an advance copy of the book, Bringing Maggie Home by Kim Vogel Sawyer. Obviously, being chosen to review one of my favorite author's books was an honor I happily accepted. I wanted to read this book before i even knew what it was about, but once I did know the plot, I was even more eager to read it. This is Sawyer's first contemporary title that does not follow an Old Order Mennonite character. While I was optimistic that this book would be as good as Sawyer's previous novels, I was blown away by how much I loved this book.

     Focusing on three different generations, a grandmother, daughter, and granddaughter, this book was unlike any other I have read. This book was flashing between the characters points of view, focusing on both the past and present, all the while seamless in presentation, and never confusing. That alone is a feat!

    While I love nothing more than a good mystery, often I have to sacrifice suspense in exchange for a hope-filled story. Such is not the case for "Bringing Maggie Home." Not only was I captivated by the mystery and the search for answers, I was delighted by the relatable characters, the hope-filled pages, and Christ-centered story. I have rarely found a book I love enough to read more than a couple times, but this book is sure to be read many times over.
   
     In the book, there is tension between Hazel and Diane, the grandmother and her daughter. I was brought face to face with the reality that I had unforgiveness towards my great-grandma for many of the same reasons Diane was frustrated with Hazel. In this way, the book was healing to me, helping me to see hurts and frustrations in my own heart that I hadn't realized were there. After reading this book, I have a new gratitude for my great-grandma, and I am so grateful to have seen through fiction what actually could change my heart. What an incredible book that it can bring healing I didn't even know I needed!
 
     Overall, I am blown away by Bringing Maggie Home. As much as I have loved Kim's past books, this one is by far her best yet. I would recommend this a thousand times over. The perfect mix of suspense and resolve, and full of poignant realities such as the toll of hidden fear and harbored bitterness, and how Christ is the only one who can fix us. If you like mysteries, love a great story, and can read, buy this book!



















Thanks to Kim and the publisher for giving me a copy to read and review!



No comments: