May 25, 2012

Book Review: #hooked by Gregory L. Jantz


Imagine waking up in a world without any media. No internet. No texting. No iPods, iPads, or iPhones. Not one television show. No media whatsoever.  Although a world where we had no media could possibly be a more peaceable and beneficial world, most of us would start freaking out if we couldn’t check our Facebook. I know I would. In this alternately angled book, Gregory shows the pitfalls of media today, and how we as a culture are more reliant on faux communication than real, live, face to face conversation. He show how we can use media to our advantage, while simultaneously living in a real reality, not a virtual one.
I liked:
  • The mind blowing facts. Did you know that a drunk driver is actually safer than a texting driver? I sure didn’t.
  • The non-judgmental outlook. I loved that he understood how addicting technology is, and  he wasn’t condemning about it.  He simply showed how much better it could be used.
  • The hope. He made it seem semi-doable to do a media fast. It was awesome.
I didn’t love:
  • The lack of Christianity in it. Not that it was bad, but I usually expect Christian books to mention God in more than one chapter.
Overall:
I enjoyed this book, and although I was slightly afraid it could be boring,  it was not. It was a great book, and I would definitely recommend it to you!
Libbi H.

Thanks to Charisma House publishers for giving me this book in exchange for this honest review.

No comments: