May 10, 2013

Fiction Friday: A Clearing in the Wild by Jane Kirkpatrick




     Emma Wagner is trapped. Feeling constricted by the restrictions of Bethel, Missouri, she defies the communities leader and chooses to marry whomever she pleases. In this small community of those who want to live a simple life, her rebellion is not well tolerated. When her new husband is sent off on a mission to gather more believers, she feels as if the colony’s leader is not keeping the community’s best interest at heart. When she begs the leader to let her travel with her husband on his pioneering journey west, she discovers her independence, and she begins to once again desire the small community.
     I found this book to be very well written, and I enjoyed the first-person narration. I found that although it is not extremely suspenseful, I did want to keep turning the pages. Once I had read a bit past the middle, it did start to drag. Mainly, I just like the characters to do what I tell them, and when they do not, I get a little irritated with them. I do believe this book was worth reading, but it was not a fast-paced read. It did have a good plot, it just wasn’t one where there was a cliffhanger. Also, I REALLY liked the cover. A lot. It was stunning.
     Overall, I believe this book is an interesting read for ages 13+. It shares a lot of fascinating information about the Pioneers, as well as information about America in the 1850s. This would be a good read for anyone who like stories based on a real person.

The Author's Website: http://www.jkbooks.com/
This book is only $6 on Amazon if you like paperback!

This book was given to me free of charge from the fantastic company, Waterbrook Multnomah, in exchange for this review. I would LOVE it if you would rank my review!




No comments: